Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Why?

I wonder why it is so necessary for some people to have the world agree with them. Are they so insecure in their own beliefs that it is only through persuading others that they feel validated? This seems particularly true of people with imagined authority. Perhaps they realize their authority is tenuous and struggle to convince themselves that they are somehow "in charge". There's something strangely sad about watching someone who thinks they are "the boss" work to maintain eye contact, speak loudly to impart control, and hunt for the right words to say to get attention. So sad.
Who cares what you say if your words are nothing more than self-aggrandizing dialogues with yourself? A meager attempt to prove you have control of the situation. The kinder part of me lets them go on, because it really doesn't matter if they believe they have control. It costs me nothing as long as their actions do no harm to myself or others. Carry on. But the naughty side of me toys with the notion of pushing the flimsy pedestal over and watching them cartwheel as they fall flat on their faces. Still there is no gain there. I need to just behave in what I believe is the "right" way and hope they find their "right" way.

No comments: