Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 03, 2005

And the Snow Fell...

It was cold. The snow fell for days and coated the world with frozen silence. We played in the snow and flakes clung to your beard, tantalizing, tempting drops inviting a kiss.
The glare of the noonday sun on the snow blinded me to your faults. In the still evenings we would snuggle on the couch under piles of blankets, nursing cups of steaming cocoa and you told me of dreams that remain fantasies.
I believed I loved you. Maybe I did. I hoped you loved me. Maybe you did.
Our breath would make white balloons in the crisp winter air and carry our words away to the gods. Did they laugh at our youth? Did they know our destiny?
We cooked out in the yard, snow crunching beneath our shoes as the grill crackled and the flames danced. I poured a libation of grape juice to gods we didn't believe in and we laughed at our poverty.
Winter is coming again, her arms open in a welcoming embrace of forgetfulness. Where are you now? Do you still like chocolate and sweet hot tea? I can smell the cigar smoke and remember the smoke curling around your head like a misty crown. What kingdom do you rule now and is your touch still gentle?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Now what fun would there be in my telling you that?? Actually a little of both. And thank you for the compliment. More to come!

Anonymous said...

I envy your talent. You are an amazing writer...just like Sam it makes me curious for more, and wanting to know if its real or if I stepped into your imagination.

Unknown said...

Thank you Joanna. Sam is biased I think. All of my writing is a little true. Even the really scary stuff! It means a lot to have people tell me they enjoy what I write. But, when are you going to start a blog??