Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Long Ago

Many years ago when I was in college in Brooklyn I was hurrying for the subway one cold winter afternoon. My mind was already working on the paper I had due. A young woman with a very small little girl at her side stepped up to me and asked softly if I could spare some change. I stopped an looked at her face, a face filled with questions, fears, what??? I had four kids at home, one just an infant. Was this a scam? I asked if she needed carfare and she said no they were hungry. She only wanted enough to buy something for her daughter from one of the near by fast food restaurants. Unthinking I said, "Come on." I took them to Arby's and told her to order whatever she wanted. She ordered only for the child and although I insisted, would not get anything for herself. We sat and talked and she told me she had left an abusive situation and was currently living in a shelter. They had to get out for part of the day so she and her daughter who was a little over 2 would just walk around. As I left them I pressed a ten into her hand, my lunch money for the rest of the week. What happened to them? I still wonder if they found a place. The girl would be in her 20's now. Is she happy? Are she and her mom still together? Did she go to school? Does she still like chocolate shakes and apple pie?

No comments: