Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Thoughts

My car was covered in frost this morning. The bright red paint dusted with a crystal coating making it look like a chariot instead of an old 95 Corsica. The grass beneath my feet crackled indignantly as I made my way across the lawn, past the silent lighted deer that foretell the coming of Christmas. With each breath my lungs were filled with crisp frosty air that made them stop for a moment, shocked by the sudden onslaught of iciness. The morning was incredibly still, very little traffic moved down my normally busy street. I imagined my neighbors still tucked in their warm beds, heads hidden beneath pillows. Dawn was just touching the sky, a dull pink hue that ran into purples and grays.
The earth is sleeping. Like my neighbors, it is tucked safely beneath layers of fallen leaves and crunchy soil, its head hidden beneath a mantle of frost. Sleep well. You need a break. It's been a rough year. Hurricanes, tidal waves, earthquakes... And I thought I had it tough!

No comments: